Wood Technology is offered in St. Marys, Charleville in Junior Cycle. Students will explore the natural and made world through the medium of design, seeking out opportunities to creatively and innovatively apply the material/resource in making and shaping their environment. The sustainable use of and management of this natural resource is important as the world faces the challenges of the 21st century. Students will learn to design small projects and the practice the skills required to use tools and equipment to complete projects. Students will work mainly with wood but also with other materials.
What will I learn in Wood Technology?
Some of the things you will learn include:
how to design a project given a brief description of what you are to make
how to use the internet for research purposes • how to use freehand sketching to communicate your ideas
how to prepare a design drawing/plan of a project you design
how to read design drawings and make small projects from these drawings • how to safely use a range of hand and power tools in producing your design.
How will I learn Wood Technology in school?
Some of the things you may do with your teacher and your classmates are:
examine trees, their leaves and seeds and be able to recognise their varying characteristics
investigate how trees affect the environment around us
learn to sketch freehand
learn how to problem solve and use a design process to design projects
develop your craft skills to allow you to make projects
prepare a design folder to accompany your project.
How is Wood Technology assessed?
Wood Technology is assessed at a common level. On completion of the Classroom-Based Assessments, students undertake a project. The project is completed after the second CBA in third year. The brief for the project is set and marked by the State Examinations Commission (SEC). The project accounts for 70% of the final SEC grade with the 90-minute common level written exam accounting for the other 30%.
How will Wood Technology be useful to me?
You will know the correct procedures to follow when developing an idea into a finished artefact e.g. a piece of furniture or a child’s toy etc.
You will be able to identify different trees, recognise their importance to us and our environment
You will also have the skills to make objects from wood and know how to apply appropriate finishes to them, for example paint, varnish, stain or polish.